Form our recent trip, I will try to add some things that came to my mind as notes for me and the other family member when they read this:
- This was the farthest trip for the three of us only. We went to Gold Coast last year, but at that time we had my mom and sister too, so that wasn’t counted. Although I felt a bit nervous at first, but thankfully all went well. Thank God everyone was healthy during the trip and even until now, and we enjoyed our togetherness and our holiday so much. There was almost no arguments or disagreements during the trip, and amazingly we really tried to understand each other really well. We just did what the quotes says “go with the flow” and tried to relax as much as we could although we had itinerary, but we tried to make them it as flexible as we could. We didn’t go early in the morning and come back very late at night. Whenever we felt tired, we just rested and enjoyed the day even though that meant that we missed some attractions or things to see. We had enough sleep (something that rarely happened in our trips). As a result, we woke up fresh in the morning and started the day with good spirit and no one showed tantrum or crankiness during the day.
- Changi Airport Playground used to be a fun place for the lil one…………..but now not anymore. He said it was just suitable for little kids and not for him……………It was the first time that we would board the plane from Terminal 3, so we felt excited to see what the playground inside the departure terminal would be. Well, instead of feeling excited, he was disappointed, hahaha………….yeah, I think he’s too big for this now.
- He always likes airport lounge (yes even until now), hahaha…………..so he asked to go earlier to the airport to enjoy the lounge………..We waited in KrisFlyer Gold Lounge but we agreed that the SATS Lounge in Terminal 2 was better (more spacious, had private areas, the distance between chairs and tables were more convenient, more computers, had toilets with showers, big TVs with interesting movies, and also had massage chairs). When I asked him why he now liked to eat a lot and ate so many things that he usually didn’t like when he was smaller, he said: “You know that my taste buds change as I grow. I like things that I didn’t like or I don’t like things that I usually liked. Like the tokyo banana, I used to like it but now not anymore.” I couldn’t help but smiled and really didn’t expect to get a very clear answer like that…………………
- I was afraid about the flight because based on our Gold Coast Trip (8 hours trip from Singapore-Gold Coast and vice versa)……………..it was so tiring………..and everyone was restless, and we couldn’t wait to finally arrive again on land. Fortunately, this time was different……………well, I now know very well why we should not using budget airlines on long flights (at least 8 hours was considered very long for us). This time we flew with Singapore Airlines, and it was soooo different. It felt different for me because the boy enjoyed the flight, he had fun, and he wasn’t cranky at all, so for me that was counted as very enjoyable. I didn’t really care about the food or the entertainment system (I never really enjoy watching movies too these days) or other facilities, but as long as the boy had fun and could entertain himself so I could have some peaceful time for myself (with distractions in between of course, you can’t expect the whole time for yourself if you are with a child on a flight – go to toilet, ask for water, open the plastic wrap of his food, cut his food, his ears hurt during the flight, help him to adjust the TV setting, sleep on your lap which makes your thighs stiffed and at the same time you need to go to toilet but you are afraid to wake him up, make sure he’s comfortable with the pillow and blanket during his sleep, hold his cup and food because he still wants to finish later and he doesn’t want to put them in his tray and your tray is quite full also, etc………..etc…………). But overall, they were just small things compared to the peaceful flight that I had. No need to worry about food or drink (very important if you are with a child), about entertainment, or how to make him comfortable. So I was so happy that we flew with SQ this time because it was so relaxing for me (total cost was $1200 for tax and administration fee, we got 3 free return tickets by redeeming KrisFlyer Mileage).
- I have learnt from the experience based on our Gold Coast trip………….that asking the boy to sleep was useless and would create unnecessary arguments that would make both of us very tired. So I let him played and did whatever he wanted during the flight, and when he was tired he would turn off the TV, laid on my lap, and felt asleep within seconds. Miracle happened……………!!!! hahaha…………..no arguments…………everyone had peace on the flight.
- Although I’ve read that the queue in immigration and customs in Sydney Airport could be quite long, to our surprise it wasn’t like what we imagined or even experienced in Gold Coast (we needed at least 2 hours to finally cleared everything because the queue was very long). Although we used Express Pass and there was no queue in the express line, but we saw that the other lines were almost empty too (we arrived at around 11 AM). There was no queue at all at the custom, and the staff only asked 1 question about our declared items and let us went through the exit door without checking the luggage. So the process was very smooth and fast. But then again, we had to queue for the Optus Card and we had difficulty in finding Opal Card, so we were very tired and hungry after that. The boy’s eyes already glued in Mc Donald and french fries………….and we saw no other good food option for us, so Mc Donald it was.
- On the way back to Singapore, the Express Pass helped a lot because we could skip the queues and just lined up with the other express pass holders. The airport was big (unlike Gold Coast of course) and the we had to walk quite far to our gate……………..but we didn’t have time to take photos or shopping in the duty free store as we were only had limited time before boarding and we still wanted to visit this:
- The boy was the one who really enjoyed the flight home. The adults were just hoping that we could go home soon, but this lil one really didn’t waste his last part of Sydney holiday and entertained himself with many things on the plane. He said he liked the plane, the food, the movies, the games, and especially the kids meal, hahaha……………
He already said he was very hungry just as soon as the plane took off……………..and he already had breakfast at the hotel and snack at the airport lounge! So he was very glad when the food finally came……………..and with potato chips! Sea salt flavor! His favorite! Too bad I couldn’t order kids meal for myself…………
Note to myself (nothing to do with the flight or the airport):
- I found out that my face moisturizer absorbed very quick on my skin during the trip. Within seconds! I was so amazed! I usually needed at least 5 minutes to apply my sunblock and another 5 minutes after my sunblock to put face powder and other make up thingy, but this time I could apply one after the other very quick. And my face wasn’t too oily too the whole day. Was it because of the weather, the temperature, or whatever…………..I don’t know, but it really saved my time in the morning.
- After I washed my hair, I just blow dry and used my hair straightener to make my hair straight or a bit curly in the morning, and the style lasted for at least 2 days or until I washed my hair again. My hair didn’t get frizzy easily and it was so easy to do the styling…………felt like I used hair conditioner the whole day (and I didn’t even bring my hair conditioner). I didn’t tie my hair unless the wind blew so strong. Back in the hot weather in here, I tried to do the same thing…………..and it fails…………my hair gets messy and curly again in 5 minutes after I was done with my hair straightener, and it is so hot and I have to tie up my hair almost all day………….so it goes back to its curly condition again very fast……………
Well, enough about the hair…………….our trip was over and we hated to say goodbye to Sydney and started the rest of the holiday at home again (but we’re watching SEA Games tomorrow and we will cheer up for team Indonesia………….yay for that).
On the plane, I saw this very funny and interesting article that really describe what the kids will do during the holiday. It is so true for most kids and the story ends so hilariously funny…………….