Croutons! Hmmm…..nyam……who doesn’t like this crispy and salty bite size bread? I like it best with salad and spaghetti, while my son likes it with cream soup. Either way, it’s always good to eat croutons as snack without anything else.
Some restaurants serve good and tasty croutons, while some don’t. So it always make me upset that whenever I find a restaurant which serve good croutons……..they always come in small portion. But don’t ask me to but the store-made croutons because I hate them so much. They taste awful and sometimes oily. Making my own croutons is always the best choice for me.
I’ve made non baked croutons once, but this time I tried the oven baked croutons. I made it with my homemade French Bread (my bread machine did it for me of course)………….and it’s a five stars in term of taste. Very easy to make, but delicious.
So try this and I’m sure that your family will love your homemade croutons.
- 1 loaf of French bread (recipe for homemade French Bread can be seen in here). Store for at least 2 days (if refrigerate, let it cool in room temperature). cut into croutons size
- 6 tbsp margarine
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- herb (your preferred choice)
- In a big wok, melted margarine in low heat
- Add garlic, stir fry until fragrant and golden brown, turn off the heat
- Remove the garlic, use the margarine only
- Add salt and herb to the melted margarine
- Toss margarine mixture with cubed bread until they are evenly coated
- Spread the bread in baking sheet in single layer
- Preheat oven to 300 C
- Bake for 15 minutes and check if they are dry, crispy, and golden brown
- Bake for another 15 minutes for another side of bread
- Baking time may vary according to the bread size and oven condition
- Let it cool completely before you store them in a container or zip-lock bag
Step 5 (top left) – Step 6 (top right) – Step 8 (bottom left) – Step 9 (bottom right)