I figured out that these French Cheese Puffs were actually the same as kue sus. Kus sue is one of the famous Indonesia snacks that I like so much. After I finished making these and tasted them, I found that they were actually the snacks that I’ve known so well. They are absolutely one of my favorite snacks when I was little. There are two kinds of puffs that are well known in Indonesia, my mom used to call them kue sus basah (soft ones) and kue sus kering (crunchy ones). My favorite are always the crunchy ones.
These puffs weren’t cheap at all (years ago and even until now), especially when I was a little children. So every time I had this, I would eat them one by one, sometimes only 2 to 3 pieces per day so they would last longer (and they were just as big as my little thumb). I didn’t dare to ask for these treats very often since I know they were very expensive. My family members knew these were my favorites, so they usually just let me had the whole puffs by myself.
One of the famous puffs store in Indonesia is located in Bandung, so I’m always very glad if someone goes to Bandung and bring me these crispy puffs.
To finally making these really raised my childhood memories, and I guess I really appreciate these puffs because they were hard to get.
This time, I made the soft ones (kue sus basah), but next time I will certainly try the crispy ones.
CHEESE PUFFS RECIPE:
Make 20 large puffs
- 3/4 cup water
- 70 gr unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour (all purpose / plain)
- 3/4 cup grated cheese (I mixed mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan)
- 4 eggs
- Bring water, butter, salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add flour and stir until dough forms and cook for another 2 minutes to dry out the dough
- Set aside to cool slightly. Transfer it into a clean bowl and stir to fasten the cooling process.
- Add eggs one at a time and stir well until the dough becomes smooth
- Add cheese, mix well
- Using 2 tablespoons drop balls of dough into the prepared baking tray with distance between them (I used my hand to make these cheese balls, easier and faster). Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top of each (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220C
- Bake for 10 minutes at 220C and another 25 mins at 190C